Sometimes you don’t have enough seed pots to go around and maybe don’t want to use the plastic containers that are commonly bought for beginning your garden. Up-cycling, or using products you already have and making them into a better product is one fun and creative way of turning newspaper into your seed starter pots. We do this craft as a lesson with our children and it is another way of using your hands and thinking creatively.
seed starter pots
1′ X 2′ cardboard tube or pvc pipe section
- cut the newspaper in half down the vertical center of newspapers natural fold
- turn horizontally, fold in half from bottom to top
- turn the paper so the bottom folded edge is now on the top
- place roll 1/2 way down the newspaper along the left edge and begin rolling tightly
- allow the newspaper to roll all the way around the tubing
- fold the bottom rough edges up into the center to close off the bottom secure with tape
- place the rolled paper tube on the table and press from inside to flatten out the bottom and secure the tape
- tie with twin
- slide the newspaper off of the roll
- fill with soil
Scoop a good quality soil into your pots, add your seeds and water. Mark your pots so you don’t forget what you have planted. These pots will keep moist because the newspaper absorbs the water and when it is time to plant you can place them directly into the ground or carefully release the seed and soil mixture into your garden.